Thursday, April 19, 2012

Weeeeird

I was going to do one post on two different topics but I opted to stick with one. It's a mixture of mystery, intrigue and paranoia. Enjoy!


So I've been commuting 52 miles one way, for a total of 104 miles round trip, to get to and from work everyday for about... four months now. For the most part, the people driving around me are strangers. But I've started to recognize a couple of regular fellow commuters. There's one gold Camry with a bumper sticker that says "Driver carries no cash. HE'S MARRIED." which makes me chuckle pretty much every time I see it. 


But there's this silver Toyota pickup truck (A Tundra, I think?) that I've passed on a regular basis. He's always going slower than the rest of the traffic but he's always in the slow lane so it doesn't generally bother me. The first time I remember passing him, he had his emergency flashers on. I assumed he had on a spare tire or was having some other car trouble, so I signaled and moved around him and didn't think much of it. But the next time I remember seeing him, the traffic was a little bit heavier and so I spent some time behind him for a while. Weird thing is, he'd put his emergency flashers on for a minute, maybe less, and then turn them off. And then a little while later, he'd do it again. 


I've now been behind, or around this guy several times and he does it every morning. Today though, before I even got to the highway, I was on our street, which runs perpendicular, all the way to the highway. I pulled up to a stop light, just down the street from our home, behind a silver Toyota pickup. I was singing Michael Buble quite loudly and not really paying attention yet when all of a sudden, for no apparent reason, the truck turned on his emergency flashers for a couple of seconds and then turned them off! The weirdo flasher truck guy must live near me! Then, I thought, what if he lives at our apartment complex? Whoa. I mean, not that over using your emergency flashers automatically makes you a creeper but there's something strange about it. 


Is there some emergency flasher signal that I just wasn't informed about? Does he have a radar detector or something and is trying to warn his fellow drivers that there's a cop in the area? Is he trying to get my attention? Maybe he recognizes me too. I mean, my car is pretty distinguishable. It's ghetto, rusting, falling apart and has Superman stickers on both sides of the backdoor windows. I have absolutely no idea why he does this and it really gets my goat! WHAT DOES IT MEAN?


Luckily, I'm a habitual lead foot and he seems to be the slowest vehicle on the freeway so as soon as he's out of my sight, Michael Buble's lovely melodies take over again and all is well. Until tomorrow when I see him again.


No comments:

Post a Comment