Monday, April 2, 2012

What is your dream job?

I love my current job. I work as a receptionist at a retirement home/nursing facility. If you asked me, personally, I'd tell you that I think I'm perfect for the job. I have a bubbly and generally likable personality. I work well with others. I love meeting new people and hearing their stories. I love helping people. I get to do all those things in my position and I absolutely love it. I get compliments all the time, even from complete strangers on the phone. Twice today alone, two people told me that it was so nice to hear a friendly voice over the phone. I appreciate the little compliments. I know they'll never be heard by my bosses but I'd like to think that if other people notice it, they do too. 


Is it my dream job? I don't know. If you had asked me before college what I aspired to be, receptionist wouldn't have made the list. I'm not sure many people dream of being a receptionist. Honestly speaking, it doesn't take a lot of skill. Typing, alphabetizing, and basic math are the skills you need to be successful. But the top skill is really communication. When you're the sole boundary between the outside world and the staff and residents inside, it's important that you relay between the two efficiently.  But beyond that, it's not much to master in the grand scheme of things. But I really, really do love being here. 


I had an eye-opening conversation today though that made me really reevaluate what I do here. I've really enjoyed getting to know my residents over the last couple of months. But it was brought to my attention that this is my JOB and the residents are NOT my family, however close I feel to them, and that I really need to "keep those professional boundaries tight." It made me really sad that I could be penalized at work for what is essentially caring too much, for getting too personal. It breaks my heart  that we live in a world that thinks remaining stoic with customers/clients/everyone is the way things should be. "Back in the day," your grocer knew that your son and daughter-in-law were expecting their first child. Your dentist knew that you'd planted three acres of potatoes. Your neighbors knew that your mother was suffering with cancer. Everyone knew everyone else and when you needed a shoulder to lean on, you had a whole town to run to. That's not to say there weren't problems with that way of life either. But what happened to common courtesy and caring? What's wrong with being genuinely concerned for others and actually interested in how they're doing and feeling? 


I'm not sure I really have a dream job anymore. I think, no matter what I'm doing or where I'm working, there's always going to be issues like this. One of my resident's wife was a travel writer. He told me how they were practically overwhelmed with free trips all over the world in exchange for favorable reviews in popular travel guides and magazines. I like writing and I love traveling. So I think maybe if I had to pick something, that would be ideal. 




The List


1. List 20 random facts about yourself.

2. Describe 3 legitimate fears you have and explain how they became fears.
3. Describe your relationship with your parents.
4. List 10 things you would tell your 16 year-old self, if you could.
5. What are the 5 things that make you most happy right now?
6. What is the hardest thing you have ever experienced?
7. What is your dream job, and why?
8. What are 5 passions you have?
9. List 10 people who have influenced you and describe how.
10. Describe your most embarrassing moment.
11. Describe 10 pet peeves you have.
12. Describe a typical day in your current life.
13. Describe 5 weaknesses you have.
14. Describe 5 strengths you have.
15. If you were an animal, what would you be and why?
16. What are your 5 greatest accomplishments?
17. What is the thing you most wish you were great at?
18. What has been the most difficult thing you have had to forgive?
19. If you could live anywhere, where would it be and why?
20. Describe 3 significant memories from your childhood.
21. If you could have one superpower, what would it be and what would you do with it first?
22. Where do you see yourself in 5 years? 10 years? 15 years?
23. List your top 5 hobbies and why you love them.
24. Describe your family dynamic of your childhood vs. your family dynamic now.
25. If you could have dinner with anyone in history, who would it be and what would you eat?
26. What popular notion do you think the world has most wrong?
27. What is your favorite part of your body and why?
28. What is your love language?
29. What do you think people misunderstand most about you?
30. List 10 things you would hope to be remembered for.  

No comments:

Post a Comment