Wednesday, March 14, 2012

A Day in My Shoes...

Remember in this post how I mentioned in number nine that I was drooling over this pair of shoes? Well guess what? 



Someone bought them for me! I was sitting at home, feeling miserable with my head cold/sinus infection, when I saw UPS pull up and start walking towards our building. "I didn't order anything. Did you?" I said to Hubson. "Nope," he said. Nevertheless, UPS knocked, I answered and said, "I don't even know what I ordered..." and he said, "Looks like shoes to me." And sure enough, it was a TOMS box! And inside were my Lovelies! 

I have no idea who sent them and no one is confessing. I figure it has to be someone who reads this blog AND someone who knows my shoe size. :) So here's a GIANT thank you to my secret shoe sender!

All that being said, I've chosen to do number twelve: Describe a typical day in your current life or (and here's my nicely planned segue) "in your shoes." So here goes nothing!

My Monday through Friday routine is pretty steady (except when vomit, strep or fevers are involved...). The alarm on my phone goes off at 5:15am. If I have to shower that morning, I get right up. If I showered the night before or if it's my day off (I shower every other day to keep my skin from falling off in chunks.), then I hit the snooze for an extra 10 minutes. When it goes off, I grab my phone, turn on my flashlight app and slink around the room grabbing whatever it is I plan to wear that day. I nuke some oatmeal or have a bowl of cereal, brush my teeth, do my hair and makeup all before getting dressed. Weird? Maybe but no one else is awake and if I get dressed first, I'm bound to end up with oatmeal, cereal, milk, toothpaste, hair and/or makeup on my clothes. So it's really easier on me (and my laundry basket) if I get dressed afterwards. :P 

I hit the road at 6am. I live precisely 52.1 miles from work. Google Maps says it should take me 59 minutes to get there but Google Maps has obviously never driven through the I-35/820 corridor during rush hour. I listen to NPR on the way to work most mornings. I enjoy Morning Edition and it's likely the only news I'll get all day. 

I get to work about 7:30am or so, clock in and head to my desk. I'm a receptionist at a retirement center and I LOVE IT! I adopted 150 grandparents when I started working here. Since I have no grandparents living, it's been awesome. I pretty much answer phones, make copies, send out mailings, sell stamps and meal tickets, hand out hearing aide batteries and chat with residents. A big part of my job is running interference between the residents and the office staff (who's trying to get real business done). I love my residents. Even the crazy ones are awesome because it keeps my day interesting. The other day, I had to help a resident fill out new patient paperwork before her trip to the doctor. She's slightly hard of hearing, so I had to ask her, quite loudly, if she's been experiencing diarrhea, constipation, or blood in her urine. Her response, "No honey. I've stopped bleeding." :) How can that not make you giggle (and cringe) at least a little bit?

I get off work at 4:30 which is great, because I get to hit the highway ever so slightly before the nine-to-five crowd which gives me a tiny bit of a head start on the traffic. On a good day, I'm back home by 5:30 (5:45 if I stop to pick up the kiddo). On a bad day, I might not make it home till 6:30 or later.

When I get home, I start on dinner almost immediately. Kid goes to bed between 7 and 7:30 (when things go right anyway) so ideally, dinner is on the table by 6 or 6:30. It doesn't always work that well but I try.

Then Hubson and I spend the evening loafing on the couch. It's my favorite time of day. It's the only down time I get and it's the only time we get together. So the three hours or so from 7-10pm are precious to me. 

Of course some nights there's laundry to be done or grocery runs to make or nail appointments and what not. But that's typically how things go. Nothing extraordinary but that's my life and I love it.


The List

1. List 20 random facts about yourself.
2. Describe 3 legitimate fears you have and explain how they became fears.
3. Describe your relationship with your parents.
4. List 10 things you would tell your 16 year-old self, if you could.
5. What are the 5 things that make you most happy right now?
6. What is the hardest thing you have ever experienced?
7. What is your dream job, and why?
8. What are 5 passions you have?
9. List 10 people who have influenced you and describe how.
10. Describe your most embarrassing moment.
11. Describe 10 pet peeves you have.
12. Describe a typical day in your current life.
13. Describe 5 weaknesses you have.
14. Describe 5 strengths you have.
15. If you were an animal, what would you be and why?
16. What are your 5 greatest accomplishments?
17. What is the thing you most wish you were great at?
18. What has been the most difficult thing you have had to forgive?
19. If you could live anywhere, where would it be and why?
20. Describe 3 significant memories from your childhood.
21. If you could have one superpower, what would it be and what would you do with it first?
22. Where do you see yourself in 5 years? 10 years? 15 years?
23. List your top 5 hobbies and why you love them.
24. Describe your family dynamic of your childhood vs. your family dynamic now.
25. If you could have dinner with anyone in history, who would it be and what would you eat?
26. What popular notion do you think the world has most wrong?
27. What is your favorite part of your body and why?
28. What is your love language?
29. What do you think people misunderstand most about you?
30. List 10 things you would hope to be remembered for. 

No comments:

Post a Comment