Monday, March 5, 2012

The List

I was on Pinterest when I found a pin to this website- Hopes and Dreams. It was pinned as a list of things to ask your partner. But I kind of like the list just as a fun activity. I'm not sure I'll follow it verbatim but it's a nice guideline. I'm going to do the first one today.


So here's the list:


1. List 20 random facts about yourself.
2. Describe 3 legitimate fears you have and explain how they became fears.
3. Describe your relationship with your parents.
4. List 10 things you would tell your 16 year-old self, if you could.
5. What are the 5 things that make you most happy right now?
6. What is the hardest thing you have ever experienced?
7. What is your dream job, and why?
8. What are 5 passions you have?
9. List 10 people who have influenced you and describe how.
10. Describe your most embarrasing moment.
11. Describe 10 pet peeves you have.
12. Describe a typical day in your current life.
13. Describe 5 weaknesses you have.
14. Describe 5 strengths you have.
15. If you were an animal, what would you be and why?
16. What are your 5 greatest accomplishments?
17. What is the thing you most wish you were great at?
18. What has been the most difficult thing you have had to forgive?
19. If you could live anywhere, where would it be and why?
20. Describe 3 significant memories from your childhood.
21. If you could have one superpower, what would it be and what would you do with it first?
22. Where do you see yourself in 5 years? 10 years? 15 years?
23. List your top 5 hobbies and why you love them.
24. Describe your family dynamic of your childhood vs. your family dynamic now.
25. If you could have dinner with anyone in history, who would it be and what would you eat?
26. What popular notion do you think the world has most wrong?
27. What is your favorite part of your body and why?
28. What is your love language?
29. What do you think people misundertand most about you?
30. List 10 things you would hope to be remembered for.





Twenty Random Facts About Me


1. I swore up and down that when I got married, I wanted to make sure that my last name would move up in the alphabet. Stodieck always fell near the very end in school, only ahead of all the Willis' and Williams'. Well, that didn't work out. I'm a Wood now and I'm even further down on the alphabet. BUT! Wood is SO much easier to spell, so I really can't complain.


2. In my twenty-something years, I've entertained the idea of becoming a marine biologist, teacher, writer, librarian, social worker, therapist, daycare operator, dolphin trainer, pharmacy tech, long-term care facility administrator, professional blogger (Ha!), extreme couponer, interior designer, chef, home stager, real estate agent, and princess. The list is much longer, I'm sure. But that's what I can think of for the moment. 


3. I currently work as a receptionist for a retirement/nursing facility. I've never loved a job more but today I learned the hardships of working with the elderly. They pass away. I lost a dear friend today and my heart aches like he was my own family.


4. In the past, when I thought to myself, it was usually in a British accent. Now, sad to say, I think in Facebook statuses. 


5. My favorite color flip-flops between blue(s), purple(s), and green(s). But it's usually blue.


6. If I knew my death was eminent, I'd want my last meal to be crab legs (with LOTS of butter and lemon), twice baked potatoes and a Cesar salad with the kind of dressing made using anchovies. Coincidentally, that is also the perfect meal for my birthday and/or Mothers' Day.


7. I don't like cake. I mean, I've had a bite of good cakes here and there. But they are SO few and far between, it's just not worth it. I'd much rather have a pie or creme brulee. :) 


8. I grew up in cluttered home as a child and now, I'm combating my hoarding instincts on a daily basis. Living in an 837 square foot apartment helps; there's just no room to hold on to useless trinkets. But the moment clothes wear out or don't fit, I donate them. I trash junk mail immediately. And I've even found a blog that has amazing organizational techniques for paper clutter as well as other home management tips. The blog is called The Nest Effect and it's a wonderful resource. Ask me about my "Wood Family Home Management Binder" sometime.


9. I have a terrible shoe habit. Albeit, the small apartment (and small budget) helps be curb the impulse to buy more. But that doesn't stop me from "window shopping" all over the internet. This is the pair I have my eyes on now. I wish it was my birthday or Christmas or something... lol.


10. I have two "long term" goals/dreams I desperately want to achieve. I want to be a home owner and I want more kiddos. I can't wait to be my own personal interior designer in my own home. And nothing excites me more than the idea of doing a nursery. 


11. I really, REALLY want to learn to how to crochet and sew. Like... seriously. I'm absolutely HORRID and self-teaching though and so I haven't ever ventured to figure it out on my own. 


12. My mother always told me that the first year of marriage was extremely hard. I kind of always scoffed and thought, "how hard could it be?" We're in love. We have similar life goals. We've got a plan, more or less, in place for how we want to achieve those goals. And the day to day things are easy. As painful as it is to admit it, my mother was right. Hubson and I are one week away from our first anniversary and it sure has been one heck of a roller coaster. But the one thing I've learned, in this year and from couples who have been together many, many more years than that, is that these formative years make us into the couple we'll grow to be for the rest of our lives. Much like a rough gem needs to be cut and polished before it's shiny and perfect, so is a new marriage. 


13. I love my job but I miss my family so much. Between moving over an hour away from my parents and brother, and then taking a full time job (that comes with a 15 hour/530 mile total weekly commute), I've never felt more distant from my family. I miss singing to my daughter every morning to wake her up. I miss having Fridays off to spend with Hubson. I'd even venture to say that I miss afternoons with Anna, even if it did mean homework time drama. 


14. There's a lot about my appearance I'd really like to change. For one, I want to lose weight. I don't mean 10 pounds. I mean more like 100+ pounds. I really hate my crooked teeth. And my skin is so bumpy and dry and freckly and moley and the tone is so uneven. 


15. Nothing brings my emotions to the surface like a good, relatable song. My favorite right now is If I Die Young by The Band Perry. It makes me think of my sister. This one does too.


16. I really miss singing in a choir. I've lost a lot of my talent because of my years of non-practice but I'm sure with a little work, I could jump right back in. Singing makes me feel closer to everything. My world, my family, my friends, my Faith, myself.


17. I change my mind a lot. I'm not sure what it means, other than I may be completely nuts.


18. I worry that I'm completely nuts. But then I remember, "You're mad. Bonkers. Off your head. But I'll tell you a secret. All the best people are." -Alice In Wonderland


19. Sometimes I feel like I'm two different people. The Geek and The Girl. I even have two different groups of friends. No doubt my Girls think I'm more geek than girl and my Geeks think I'm more girl than geek. Most of the time the two sides of me are battling a fierce interior war. Do I display the Star Wars toys and books I've been collecting since I was a kid? Or do I put out the nice, decorative floral bowl from Ikea? I'm not sure which me I really want to be. When I go to the Girls' houses, I envy their girly homes. When I go to the Geeks homes, I drool over their Geekdom. Hubson would of course prefer that the Geeky-me win. But then I think, doesn't he have enough geek for the both of us? Doesn't someone have to balance out the geek?


20. My office supply obsession is worse than my shoe obsession and having an office job has only made it worse. I don't generally like gel pens but this is the best. pen. ever. Seriously, once you use them, you will drive out of your way to buy them. I did.


Well, there you have it. 20 random facts about me. Were there any you didn't already know? ;)

1 comment:

  1. This I have got to try. Not sure when cause I am an awesome procrastinator sometimes. But it does look like lots of fun. =D

    I think thinking in FB Statuses is the best! Didn't get to see the shoes since the link didn't work for me. Probably best that way. Shoes are awesome.

    ReplyDelete