Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Embarrassing...

Today, I'm going with number ten: Describe your most embarrassing moment. It's pretty easy. I get embarrassed a lot but I had one experience, so mortifying, that people who know about it remind me of it anytime we get nostalgic about college days. Lol.


So here's the back story. I dated a guy in college who played the tuba. I spent a lot of time going to football and basketball games to hang out with him (since they were always on the weekends). In the process of dating this guy, I met and became friends with another tuba player, Megan. In a funny story I'll save for later, Megan let me play her tuba and I was hooked. I took one semester of private lessons and then tried out for marching band the very next semester. I was beside people who had been marching, most of them, since their freshman year in high school and who had played their instruments for many more years than that. And here I was 3 months into my tuba playing and a marching virgin. I learned a LOT in a very short amount of time. And, if I may be so bold, I did pretty good! I mean, I wasn't great or anything but I didn't look like a total moron and I didn't mess up the line any more often than seasoned marchers. Until...


I'd guess we were midway through the football season. I'd marched successfully in plenty of games and exhibitions and infinitely more practices. I was doing good even considering that our show involved running. RUNNING. With TUBAS. If you'd told me six months earlier that I'd be running with a tuba around my neck, I'd have laughed and bet my bank account that you were out of your mind. Anyway, we were preparing for a home game one weekend. I always liked home games better because the atmosphere is so awesome and at the time, our college team was gaining popularity on a national level and our hometown fans were getting more and more excited. So much so that, at the game they announced that we had hit a record breaking attendance level. Great! Woo! Go team! Except...


It had been raining earlier that day. By the time we paraded into the stadium, it was back to blue skies so spirits were high again. The game started. We were undefeated that season, so although I can't remember, I bet we were ahead. Halftime came, we started the show, the same show I'd done dozens of times before. But I'd never marched on a wet field. I took a step backwards to move to my next mark and I slipped and fell backwards over my tuba. 


It didn't hurt. Not yet. To my credit, I got back up and finished the show, even if I had tears running down my face the whole time. But a record breaking number of people saw that fall. I'd lost the neck to my tuba and my mouth piece in the fall but I didn't care. I got off the field and immediately laid down. Ow. My back hurt pretty badly but not as bad as my ego and pride. I went to the hospital. I think final diagnosis was a bad back sprain. I didn't march for a couple of weeks afterward but I eventually got back to it and finished out a great season.


The kicker to the story? A couple of weeks after my fall, a friend and I were at the movies. She had her band shirt on and a couple of guys in the row behind us, who also went to our school, asked us what we played. My friend said flute. I said tuba. And one of the guys said, "WHOA! Do you know that guy who fell a couple of weeks ago??? That was awesome!"


Yeah. Yeah, I know that guy.


The List


1. List 20 random facts about yourself.
2. Describe 3 legitimate fears you have and explain how they became fears.
3. Describe your relationship with your parents.
4. List 10 things you would tell your 16 year-old self, if you could.
5. What are the 5 things that make you most happy right now?
6. What is the hardest thing you have ever experienced?
7. What is your dream job, and why?
8. What are 5 passions you have?
9. List 10 people who have influenced you and describe how.
10. Describe your most embarrassing moment.
11. Describe 10 pet peeves you have.
12. Describe a typical day in your current life.
13. Describe 5 weaknesses you have.
14. Describe 5 strengths you have.
15. If you were an animal, what would you be and why?
16. What are your 5 greatest accomplishments?
17. What is the thing you most wish you were great at?
18. What has been the most difficult thing you have had to forgive?
19. If you could live anywhere, where would it be and why?
20. Describe 3 significant memories from your childhood.
21. If you could have one superpower, what would it be and what would you do with it first?
22. Where do you see yourself in 5 years? 10 years? 15 years?
23. List your top 5 hobbies and why you love them.
24. Describe your family dynamic of your childhood vs. your family dynamic now.
25. If you could have dinner with anyone in history, who would it be and what would you eat?
26. What popular notion do you think the world has most wrong?
27. What is your favorite part of your body and why?
28. What is your love language?
29. What do you think people misunderstand most about you?
30. List 10 things you would hope to be remembered for.

1 comment:

  1. Ahahahahahahaha! You didn't tell me the movie theater part.

    ReplyDelete