Tuesday, March 20, 2012

SUPER!

I need something light-hearted today since I'm feeling a bit low. For that reason, I've chosen number twenty-one: If you could have one superpower, what would it be and what would you do with it first? 


Believe it or not, this is tough! I've got all these ideas running through my head but I keep talking myself out of them. Here's a few of my thoughts.


1) The ability to fly- this is great! Like Superman, you could get anywhere anytime. This would be great, and probably my first choice, but what's the fun in flying if you don't have anyone who can fly with you. "But Angela, why don't you just carry the person you want to take with you," you ask? Because, wouldn't that require super strength? And the question allows for only one power.


2) Super strength- No jelly or pasta sauce jar would ever best me again! Not to mention moving from apartment to apartment would be a lot easier. But I'm pretty sure it would emasculate any man I knew if I could beat the crap out of them without even batting an eyelash.


3) Invisibility- It sure came in handy for Harry Potter et al. when they wanted to spy on people or avoid being caught. But since my sleuthing days are over and I generally only sneak around when I'm trying to not wake anyone up in the mornings, I think this power might be overrated.


I also wondered... does this super power have to really "exist?" Ok, I know super powers don't really exist, but what I mean is, does is have to be an already established super power? Or can I make something up like Super Philanthropy- the power to help people anywhere? Or maybe Super Insight- the power to see the consequences of your actions before you do them?


Wikipedia has quite a list of superhuman powers found in fiction. It's impressive, really, the way they have it broken down and organized and they even cite the characters with the particular powers. The ones that most interest me are Healing Powers, Animal Mimicry, Innate Capability, Omni-Linguism, Shape-Shifting and Self-Detonation or Explosion & Reformation. 



Healing powers are kind of a self-explanatory one. Can you imagine how nice it would be to be able to heal yourself? I'm imagining a world with no aches and pains. My brain hurts just trying to comprehend how awesome that would be.


Animal mimicry, that is being able to take on the abilities of animals, would be pretty neat too. Let's say you slam your fingers in the car door. Ow, ok... but pull 'em out of there and grow new fingers! Plus, in theory, this would involve the ability to fly too.


Innate Capability- Man, where was THIS when I was in college? I'm not entirely convinced that the ability to naturally have skills otherwise earned through learning is a super power. I'm pretty sure I went to school with people who worked less than half as hard as I did and did at least twice as better academically. But it would be super if I had it...


Here I am being practical with omni-linguisim or the ability to speak any form of a language, "a natural polyglot" according to Wikipedia. I just want to be called a polyglot. But imagine the job opportunities!


Similar to the animal mimicry in that you can take on the abilities of animals, shape-shifting not only would allow you to take on the abilities but to become the animal itself. And it's not just limited to animals. You could, in theory, shape-shift into anything.



Self-Detonation or Explosion & Reformation... ok, so the ability to blow up and reform isn't really useful in any scenario I can imagine myself in, but how cool! Talk about the life of the party!

I've pretty much got it down to either the healing powers or the shape-shifting. Of course the practical side of me says healing, especially if I can transfer those healing powers to others when I need it. But the idea of becoming anything and everything I want is so tempting too. I'm thinking shape-shifting into a gorgeous swimsuit model might be the best idea ever.


What would your super power be?


The List

1. List 20 random facts about yourself.

2. Describe 3 legitimate fears you have and explain how they became fears.
3. Describe your relationship with your parents.
4. List 10 things you would tell your 16 year-old self, if you could.
5. What are the 5 things that make you most happy right now?
6. What is the hardest thing you have ever experienced?
7. What is your dream job, and why?
8. What are 5 passions you have?
9. List 10 people who have influenced you and describe how.
10. Describe your most embarrassing moment.
11. Describe 10 pet peeves you have.
12. Describe a typical day in your current life.
13. Describe 5 weaknesses you have.
14. Describe 5 strengths you have.
15. If you were an animal, what would you be and why?
16. What are your 5 greatest accomplishments?
17. What is the thing you most wish you were great at?
18. What has been the most difficult thing you have had to forgive?
19. If you could live anywhere, where would it be and why?
20. Describe 3 significant memories from your childhood.
21. If you could have one superpower, what would it be and what would you do with it first?
22. Where do you see yourself in 5 years? 10 years? 15 years?
23. List your top 5 hobbies and why you love them.
24. Describe your family dynamic of your childhood vs. your family dynamic now.
25. If you could have dinner with anyone in history, who would it be and what would you eat?
26. What popular notion do you think the world has most wrong?
27. What is your favorite part of your body and why?
28. What is your love language?
29. What do you think people misunderstand most about you?
30. List 10 things you would hope to be remembered for.  

No comments:

Post a Comment